Saturday, July 9, 2016

Getting Serious with LinkedIn

It is time for a LinkedIn Makeover!

I am excited to have the opportunity to try LinkedIn this week! Though I've been using this site for a while, I am probably not making the most of it. As you can see from the screenshot above, my profile strength is"All Star", and my profile view ranking has gone up in the past 15 days, but still, more could be done. 







I think one of my biggest, and most urgent upgrades is that it shows the job I have, but says almost nothing about the job I want. Fellow instructional designer friends of mine have been recruited heavily for this site. They link their ePortfolio and Resume, but most of the job offers come directly from this point. How will someone know that this is the job I want, and that this is the path I am on, if I barely even hint at it? 

Also, while I'm doing an excellent job of letting viewers know where I have been employed, I say little about what skills I picked up along the way there, or about what I want out of my work environment. The most successful pages I've viewed tend to offer a brief abstract or summary about the individual, including what they are passionate about and excel at. 

Am I doing anything right? I think so. I have been using the site to follow mentors and people who have the job I want: People who have been there already and are looked up to by their peers and colleagues. Their status on LinkedIn could be considered Celebrity. I follow individuals I've met at various professional events, and folks who consistently publish content I find interesting and relevant.  I was not aware of SlideShare until this week, and will try to use that function more in the future. I've also joined several groups within FSU's larger network including the ISLT group, FSU Alumni, and many others. I find that people of all backgrounds are received well here by Alumni looking to provide support whether its for new graduates, or advice for seasoned veterans in the industry. 

While I already use LinkedIn quite a bit, I can only see myself relying on it more in the future as my skill set, and professional network continues to grow. Feel free to connect with me there. Let me know how you use the site, and what else I could be doing differently for my LinkedIn makeover in the comments below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment